Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chocolate Karma

Picture me at 9:30pm... struck down with whooping cough (yes... I have whooping cough... what a joy)... pulling my car up to the early bird convenience store on Addison rd. As its name suggests, the shop is open quite early in the mornings so I was quite surprised to see it still open at 9:30 at night. Such a relief!
I mosey on inside and gaze lovingly at the chocolate bars, my mouth watering. I've had a hard rehearsal - dancing, singing and coughing my way through 3 hours - I don't just want chocolate. I need it!
I make my difficult decision, clawing at a kitkat and a cherry ripe... (yes 2 bars! Shut up) and I make my way to the counter. In my haste, I practically bowl over a gentleman who walks through the door. I apologise several times and he just chuckles the whole time. He has soulder length messy black hair, black rimmed glasses, a beige knee length coat, thongs and a grey scarf. His smile is wide and his voice slightly high pitched. I have decided a good name for this man is Daniel. He goes to get some groceries while I go to pay for my chocolate bars. In my purse, there is 45c! I pull out my card and the man behind the counter tells me that there is a $10 minimum. Daniel hears this and pipes up from the back of the shop "You can't do that. It's illegal." The attendant looks guilty and murmers something about just being an employee and he'll get in trouble. I go to put my chocolate bars back and look for a quick fix candy for less than 45c (there's not a lot around these days for less than $1!) Daniel stops me and says "I have a feeling that these are a lot more than just chocolate bars to you right?" I giggled and said "Oh yeah! cough splutter" he put $5 down on the counter and said "The milky bars are on me" I resisted and told him I couldn't possibly accept. He insisted and bought me both the cherry ripe and the kitkat. "Karma! It's all about Karma" he said "The chocolate Karma God will appease me". I stood there gobsmacked. He tipped his hat (he wasn't wearing a hat, but he seemed like the kind of guy who would have tipped it were he wearing one) and out he went into the cold winters night, flip flopping in his thongs down addison road.
There was nothing sleazy about him at all. He was simply helping another human being out. He wasn't trying to impress or boast his money about or pick me up or pick up the shop attendant, he just wanted me to be happy. How beautifully rare!
So ... chocolate karma god... please help Daniel out... let the sun always shine on him and his, but NEVER on his chocolate bars! Keep them non melty and fresh. Let him always chose the chocolate bar with the winning 'one free bar' wrapper, and let his chocolate never be white and crumbly.
Can I get an AAAAAAAAAMEN!

4 comments:

  1. O yeah..AMEN....nice to see there are still some gentlemen around...a lady needs her chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give the girl her chocloate and all will be right with he world.

    hugs & blessings

    Gail Comber

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS hope you get over your whooping cough soon - its the pits coughing from the top of your head right down to the end of your toes, it hurts.

    ReplyDelete